This week at market Chef Nino’s creates a perfect summertime salad with fresh tomatoes and peaches.
5 basil leaves
1/4 cup red onion
1/4 cup bulgur
1/4 cup Gorgonzola
Balsamic vinegar drops
Extra virgin olive oil
5 mint leaves
- Cut tomatoes and peaches into slices.
- Slice onion and gorgonzola into small
- Cook Bulgur according to package, let cool.
- Combine tomatoes, peaches, onions, Bulgar, and gorgonzola in large salad bowl.
- Mix all ingredients and complete with basil leaves, mint, a few drops balsamic vinegar and a little EVOO.
For a vegan, and gluten-free version, use quinoa (vs. Bulgur) and substitute chopped pistachios for the Gorgonzola cheese.
Bulgur wheat is a whole wheat grain that has been cracked and partially pre-cooked (therefore making it quick to cook). As a whole grain, it’s naturally high-fiber, low-fat, low-calorie, vegetarian and even vegan. However Bulgur wheat, unlike quinoa, is not suitable for those on a gluten-free diet.
Mint is used a lot in the southern Italian, Sicilian, and the Eoliane island’s cuisine.
Today’s Recipe Sponsored by:
Olio Olive Oils & Balsamics
41 South Broad Street
Litiz, Pa 17543